Sunday, March 24

Learning To Fly

 
cloud_formations_in_the_annapurnas_nepal-1600x1200

I remember when I first heard this song. What a feeling came over me and still does to this day. When I was a child I used to dream about flying all of the time and in my own mind, I really could fly!

“The man who has no imagination has no wings.” Muhammad Ali

 photo 936876.gif

 
 
 photo 936876.gif
 
Learning To Fly Lyrics

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to find my way home
Unleadened, empty and turned to stone
A soul in tension, is learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
Friction lock...
Set...Mixture...Rich propellers...Fully forward flaps...Set...Ten degrees...
Full gauges and suction-check
Gas set to maximum percent-recheck
Flight instruments...
Altimeters-check both
Navigation lights–on
Perimeter lights-on
Strobes-on
Confirm 3-8 Echo ready for departure
Hello again, this is now 129.4
129.4, its to go.
You make commence your take-off, winds over 10 knots.
Easy on the brakes. Take it easy, it's gonna roll this time: just handle the power gradually, and it...
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapor trail in the empty air
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I

 photo 936876.gif

While daydreaming (which was most of the time) the thought never occurred to me that it was impossible to fly. I had a vivid imagination where I could not only imagine things but “see them” and although it got me in trouble plenty of times it took me places that I will never be able to go again as an adult.

I spent many a day lying in the grass staring at the clouds and flying my flight of fancy. If anyone cared, I was indeed soaring with the birds.

I only wish now that I could go into space and spend just a moment on the International Space Station so that I could see what all who went before me saw; the Earth as it really is; the not so big blue marble in spinning in space.

With all of my talents and thirst for learning I could have been an astronaut and learned to really fly but unfortunately my parents never mentioned the word “college” nor did I ever receive much encouragement to do anything with my life. I left home early but I was resourceful and took care of those things myself. Now at my age the imagination part still works but it’s much too late for me to become an astronaut.

I’m glad we have the astronaut’s knowledge to fall back on, they have really been “up there” and reading their experiences and listening to their stories make flying (or at least imagining what it’s like,) possible for us all.

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.” Albert Einstein

 photo 936876.gif

Sources: YouTube, BrainyQuote, Internet

Due to sound quality I picked a video with no picture on purpose.

Dark Side Of The Moon photo aeaddf2c5c855a6082d8dbd125a3f979f2c-1.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Overview Effect refers to learning firsthand, the reality of the Earth in space from the astronaut's point of view.Thanks for stopping by; your comments are greatly appreciated and may your view be an Overview.